Friday, June 15, 2012

Daily Five Book Study, Chapter One

I was so excited to see that a Daily Five Book Study group was started by Mel at Seusstastic Classroom Inspiration and Nicole at Teaching With Style!  Every Wednesday (starting last Wednesday) we will discuss the Daily Five.  I've been using Daily Five for a year and a half and I'm really loving it!  The students are engaged in meaningful activities and once the students learn the structure they really are independent.  Mel and Nicole provided us with some questions to answer after reading Chapter One.  Here's what I'm thinking. I can't wait to read everyone else's ideas.
1. On pages 4-6 the author's present 2 different pictures for their classrooms.  In thinking about and reflecting on you own practice, how would you characterize your literacy block?  Does it look more like the 1st or 2nd scenario, or is it somewhere in between?  How will you change it?

At this time, my literacy block looks more like the 2nd scenario. My classroom keeps evolving over time and as I am more comfortable with the Daily Five, so are the students.  Next year I plan to do more extended and repeated instruction on the Daily Five.  I particularly need to focus on Read to Someone.  It's so easy for the kids to get off track.

2.  The typical teacher is very busy having students do lots of different activities. How is what you are having students do now in your classroom creating quality readers and writers?


The Daily Five is making a big difference with my students.  I used to create centers, but I believe that the Daily Five is better in so many ways....the routine is the same every time, no work to grade, less interruptions in small groups and the learning is more meaningful.


3.  What sets the Daily 5 structure apart from what you are doing in your classroom?


I'm doing it now and love it!  I'm always looking to refine my practice and learn new things, though.



No comments: