Monday, July 16, 2012

Monday Made it!


Hello!  I have several projects to show you today.  I missed last week's Monday Made It:(  My first project to share is a fabric banner that I made for my classroom.  Instead of going with a theme this year, I went with colors: lime green, black and white.  There are TONS of ideas on Pinterest for banners and I used ideas from each one.

This is a section of the banner.  I used 7 different fabrics at 1/4 yard each.   That made four pennants of each fabric because I backed up each fabric.  That way it is sturdier and is also 2 sided.  I made a template for the triangles that was 7 3/4 inches across the top and 8 inches down to the point.

I used Heat n Bond to adhere the two sides of the fabric together.  Then I used a ribbon and more Heat n Bond to attach it across the tops of the triangles.  There is ribbon across the top on both sides to make it sturdier AND two sided.  I left about 14 inches of ribbon on each end of the banner to be able to tie it up.  
I have to admit that this project seemed a little daunting at first, but I'm happy with the results.  I'm glad I pushed myself to do it!
My next two projects are Modge Podge projects.  The first is a birthday wall hanging that I plan to use year after year.  I will tape a typed page of each month's  birthdays to the hanging square.  One caution I have for this project is to be careful what chipboard you use for the birthday months.  As I Modge Podged the papers on, the black color turned my Modge Podge PINK!!  In some cases it dried clear and in others there is a bit of pink showing.  It is what it is!!  The letters are from Michaels.  I typed up the words "Happy" and "Birthday" and added them to the letters.  

My last project is an easy one...or should have been.  I made one of those clipboards that everyone seems to be making with Modge Podge and scrapbook paper.  After these two projects, I'm not sure that Modge Podge is my friend!!  I had trouble keeping it smooth on the clipboard.
Be sure to check out everyone's amazing projects at Fourth Grade Frolics!  I absolutely LOVE seeing all the great ideas and inspiration!

13 comments:

Teaching Little Miracles said...

Love all your little crafts. Cute ideas and so creative!

Susie Q said...

I love your Happy Birthday craft. It's unique, bright, and fun!

Learning With Susie Q

susieqsclass@gmail.com

Miss Nelson said...

Your banner is precious.

✣ Miss Nelson✣
Miss Nelson’s Blog

April Walker said...

I really like your birthday craft amd your clipboard.
~April
The Idea Backpack
ideabackpack@gmail.com

Unknown said...

I love all of the dots! So pretty! The colors look really good together.
~Andi

Lisa R. said...

Everything looks great! I love your banner. I have been wanting to make one of those for my classroom. :)
Lisa
Learning Is Something to Treasure

Sarah said...

The birthday sign is awesome! Great idea!

Sarah
Teaching Star Students

Kate Daniel said...

Adorable! I love that banner!

Kate
Second Grade Sparkle

farmhouse-story said...

love these, anne! fyi-i use a foam brush to apply the mp to the clipboard, lay the paper on the clipboard and then, roll a brayer over the paper and let it dry.

the brayer smooths out the mp under the paper pretty well. then, just i add a thin coat on top of the paper to seal it.

hope that makes sense:)

The Wallace Family said...

LOVE the birthday hanging...what a great idea:) I just may have to borrow it from you! Thanks for sharing!

Tara said...

Love your clipboard and your fabric banner is adorable!!! I keep wanting to make one of those but haven't taken the plunge yet...lol:) Thanks for linking up and sharing:)

4th Grade Frolics

Molly Maloy said...

I love your banner!! I think I'm going to make mine out of scrapbook paper, but I need to find the paper first! I didn't think about doing it out of fabric... do you think the fabric will fray or will it stay the way it is? Hmm maybe I will do fabric actually! Also, I love your clipboard! I left mine at school, but when I can go in again to get it I definitely want to decorate it!!

Molly
Lessons with Laughter

Anonymous said...

Great "made its"! I'm interested in making all those projects as well! Yours look great, so I'll use them as a guide. I also have an idea (which I saw on pinterest) for your birthday boards. Instead of typing your bday list for each month, you can take a picture of your students whose bday is in that month holding the number their bday is on. That would look really cute on your bday boards!
Also, about the modge podge . . . I've been the modge podge queen lately, and I discovered that if the paper you're trying to put on is heavier, like card stock, you have to use spray adhesive first, then you can put modge podge over the top. Hope that helps!
Emily
www.emilystuff.wordpress.com